Wednesday, February 27, 2013

response: platforms for magazines

During my work with Jack Knife I have spent a lot of time thinking about the various platforms the magazine could publish to. Print is an obvious option – I still like to wander the racks at Barnes and Noble – but the cost of printing is daunting in some instances. IPad is rising and will obviously be a key player in the future of magazine publication. Finally, there is web. An Internet presence is almost required in all instances for any type of business.

The more time spent thinking about the best platform for Jack Knife, the more I struggled with coming to a conclusion beyond "it needs a website." IPad offers a lot of neat features for content and has so much possibility tied to it, but at the same time it isn't universally available for everyone. Print can be expensive for the magazine and has limited ways to display content, but is available to more people.

Eventually, I came to the conclusion that a great magazine has all three, at least at first. Yes, using all three platforms takes time and resources, but it will get the magazine out to the largest number of people. When the magazine is established the print edition can eventually disappear, as more readers will have discovered its other forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment