During class today I briefly mentioned that Ellen Lupton's book "Thinking With Type"was my favorite type book. I've owned this book for a year or two before entering this class, and I have re-read it multiple times. There are so many good things within the first 50 pages that I don't know how a designer COULDN'T have this book on hand at all times.
My favorite part of the book is the break down of the history of type and how it came to be today. In a design world constantly reaching into the past for inspiration and ideas, understanding why something was used and how it evolved is super important. There are a number of books that venture into this realm, but Lupton does a nice job of keeping everything pretty simple and straightforward.
Is it weird that I have the pages about the anatomy of a font bookmarked? I always have that available at my fingertips just because I really love typography and I always forget some of the more specific terminology.
The best part of this book is all the goodies that one doesn't immediately catch. There are so many typefaces listed in here by name that I have added to my own list of "really awesome typefaces that I must use someday." I would highly recommend reading this book thoroughly if you haven't already. I swear by it. In fact, I'll probably read it again before this semester ends.
No comments:
Post a Comment